Friday, January 9, 2009

Win the Revolution, With Style

Since you're a Teaching Artist, you probably know already that as freelancers and part-timers we usually have little job security, few guarantees and fewer rights and protections then we deserve.

We struggle to afford health care. We struggle to afford the cost of living. We struggle to do our art. If none of this sounds familiar, then please email me your location so I can move where you are.

People with no rights are afraid to complain. People with no rights are afraid to say "No!", even when the job pays too little or the schedule is ridiculous or the environment is whack. People with no rights are afraid to ask for what they actually need, for fear they will lose everything and won't eat. Well, I am. I don't know about you.

I think we need to learn from the past and speak up when things are unfair or we lose anyway. We have to show solidarity whenever we see our fellow TAs being treated unfairly or not getting what they deserve in the way of compensation and human rights.

I am scared to write this, honestly.

Anyway, I'm off to the revolution.

Advocates like Dale Davis and your colleagues at ATA; John Abodeely at Americans for the Arts; Lynda Burnham Frye at Community Arts Network; David Shookhoff at the AIE Roundtable; Jaehn Clare of VSA Arts and many others are already there.

We won't be alone.

First, watch Christine Ebersole sing about the Revolutionary Costume for today so you will know what to wear.

I am on Twitter today, possibly.

Have fun!

No comments: