Friday, December 12, 2008

De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté

Yesterday, in conversation with a bunch of TAs, I asked if anyone had ever taken a job without getting any information from the employer about the salary or pay scale? Everybody in the room said yes.

Why do we take jobs without knowing if our financial needs will be met?

Sometimes, prospective employers will say nothing about money. 

Sometimes, I am afraid to ask. 

Sometimes a crumb falls

From the tables of joy

Sometimes a bone

Is flung

To some people

Love is given

To others

Only heaven.

- "Luck" by Langston Hughes


Then I discovered that some of us are sitting at the table with the United Federation of Teachers? My heart.

Lincoln Center Institute Teaching Artist

Plus: Glenn Gould.

That's for Dale. 

I'm gone. Have a nice weekend!

No comments: