Thursday, December 4, 2008

Mentors Needed

I think Teaching Artists need mentor relationships to fill in the gaps and help them improve their game. Mentoring should be built into training programs and peer-to-peer mentoring should be a part of the culture at the organizations that do the hiring. 


There are so many questions only a person with experience can help you grapple with.


This year, I've facilitated workshops for people of all ethnic/economic/social backgrounds in wildly different contexts. I have worked with individuals ranging in age from 6 to 80. I have facilitated workshops on a swelteringly hot church parking lot, in Central Park, on stages, in classrooms, gymnasiums. I have urged people to sit in a nice circle on carpets of many colors, on mats, on linoleum and on wooden floors with splinters and without. I have worked to help people get ready to see plays, talk about plays after they've seen them, dialogue around issues, write poetry, act, experience stories and make art they can share with somebody else.  I've worked on lesson plans and curricula to explore Shakespeare, musical theater, mad puppets, classroom management and (my favorite) a workshop series to help younger humans learn about all their various parts..."These are my hands,with my hands I can_____" 


Question: How did my training prepare me for all of that?


Answer: I don't think it did. I think I might be one of those who learned by doing. In the best situations, like where I work now, I have a teaching partner and I learn from and with them. 


This is a craft and, unless you are in a staff position with a set curriculum and an unchanging student population, nearly every day brings something different.


Teaching Artists need mentors. 


Is that practical? Is that doable?


Anyway, if you are looking for a place, there are some great training programs out there. I will post these 4 to start:


American Place Theater


Lincoln Center Institute


Arts Horizons


VSA Arts

1 comment:

eben lillie said...

Thanks for the tips Michael! Yes I have been feeling the need for a little training. I am learning so much about the world of arts education, from making lesson plans to understanding the school system, and creating partnerships, but I still lack experience. I haven't been in any schools yet, and I would love to have a mentor or mentors who would prepare me for some of the experiences and help me envision how I would bring my art into schools. As of late, I've figured I'd just have to throw myself in and learn by doing, but I'm a big fan of learning before doing too!