Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Anatomy of Ideas

Andrea Kantrowitz is a professional Teaching Artist, just like us. Sometimes, I surf over to her blog and just hang out because she has posted lots of reflective ruminations featuring "why?" and "how?" which are two questions that I've never been able to answer.

Last week, Ms. Kantrowitz began a portrait lesson with a group of middle school students and then things went to that place where art often takes us:
We started a discussion about the small acts of superficial prejudice and hatred we encounter everyday, and how every person is infinitely more complex and mysterious than you might imagine at first, the more you get to know them. My hope is that through making art, the lessons I am trying to teach about being human will become real and concrete. I have thirteen more weeks with these students. In the end, how will I know I have succeeded?
Andrea Kantrowitz is a painter and a teaching artist interested in anatomy of all kinds including "the anatomy of ideas, desires and the imagination."

Her blog is called Zyphoid and I'll let her explain why.

The image above is by Ms. Kantrowitz and it's on her website.

No comments: