Monday, February 16, 2009

Beautiful

Do you love the work of Romare Bearden? I do.

It's colorful and there are so many techniques he used that are fun for students to attempt. Collage was one of his favorite approaches and since you can stretch the idea of collage to theater or sound or anything, I use it all the time in the classroom. Today, I am on the website of the Metropolitan Museum taking a guided tour of Romare Bearden's piece The Block which is part of a cultural database made possible by the May and Samuel Rudin Family Foundation.

Later, I will go to the Guggenheim and give in to the natural impulse to run up the ramp like a well-adjusted child.

It's a holiday. Don't judge me.

Also:

My People

The night is beautiful,
So the faces of my people.


The stars are beautiful,

So the eyes of my people.


Beautiful, also, is the sun.

Beautiful, also, are the souls of my people.


-- Langston Hughes, 1923

No comments: