Friday, April 24, 2009

Do Business

Founded by Kiff GallagherMusic National Service Initiative (MNS) is a new non-profit organization that uses music to address civic and social needs. In the fall of 2009, MNS plans to pilot MusicianCorps, a "musical Peace Corps" to recruit, train and place musicians in public schools and low-income neighborhoods. MusicianCorps pitches itself as a first step in the creation of a national, multi-disciplinary arts service program. 

The Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act, which would dramatically increase funding for AmeriCorps and other volunteer programs, has passed and is awaiting President Barack Obama's signature.


It's the great depression. I want to believe, but I do not understand why we have decided that one of our most high-profile national priorities should be the creation of new volunteer opportunities for artists. 


Also: Sonnet 29


When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes, 

   I all alone beweep my outcast state, 


And trouble deaf Heaven with my bootless cries, 

   And look upon myself, and curse my fate, 


Wishing me like to one more rich in hope, 

   Featur'd like him, like him with friends possess'd, 


Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope, 

   With what I most enjoy contented least: 


Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising, 

   Haply I think on thee,--and then my state 


(Like to the lark at break of day arising 

   From sullen earth) sings hymns at heaven's gate; 


For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings 

   That then I scorn to change my state with kings'.


William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)


No comments: