Monday, April 27, 2009

How Soon is Now?

On Sunday, indoors at the Theatre Pedagogy Conference hosted by the New York University's Program in Educational Theatre, more than one person missed the Sun, and I was one of them.

Above is a photo of the event taken in a low-ceilinged room listening to what was, unfortunately, a rather fascinating and important conversation on one of the loveliest days we shall see this year. You can just make out professors Philip Taylor and Christina MarĂ­n, who, in making a compelling case for authentic arts integration, posed the question of the age: "How do we take what we know best and bring it to others...into the context of better teaching?"

The answers were flying, but I had to run.

Harvard's Jessica Hoffman Davis gave an inspirational speech about "Why Our Schools Need the Arts." Ms. Hoffman Davis has a new, and inspiring, book (PDF) of the same title. 

Also: Visit The New York Public Library.

Also: It is still National Poetry Month and Whitman, Walt

I Sing the Body Electric 
by Walt Whitman


1


I sing the body electric,

The armies of those I love engirth me and I engirth them,

They will not let me off till I go with them, respond to them,

And discorrupt them, and charge them full with the charge of the soul.


Was it doubted that those who corrupt their own bodies conceal themselves?

And if those who defile the living are as bad as they who defile the dead?

And if the body does not do fully as much as the soul? And if the body

were not the soul, what is the soul?


...continue reading at poets.org

No comments: